Monday, April 6, 2009

Light station in the U.S

Over Columbus Day weekend, I had the chance to travel up to Maine for a friend’s wedding. Lucky for me, the festivities concluded with a fabulous lobstah boil at Fort Williams Park, home of the Portland Head Light. As I walked around this breathtaking lighthouse, I could see why it was one of the most photographed spots in Maine.

Ever since I saw Pete’s Dragon as I kid, I have always found lighthouses intriguing, particularly the idea of living in one. And seeing one up close and personal only renewed this curiosity. So when I returned to D.C., I decided to find out more about U.S. lighthouses.

A quick search on USA.gov led me to find all kinds of interesting facts. Here’s just a few of them:

* The first lighthouse to use electricity was the Statue of Liberty;
* Boston Harbor Light Station is the only remaining light station in the U.S. to have an official keeper;
* Although rare, one lighthouse did make it the public auction phase of GSA’s property disposal program; and
* Some lighthouses have overnight accommodations. (I think I know where my next vacation will be.)

Have fun checking out all the lighthouse images on USA.gov, and please share your favorite lighthouse facts or memories.

No comments: